Ahhh finally, the outside doesn’t feel like the inside of an oven anymore, Huzzah!!
Now I don’t know for anyone else, but for me, it means comfort food galore, which I make most of in my trusty slow cooker. It’s just so handy, especially when I know I’ll be working late, just throw stuff in at lunch and my supper is ready for ma belly right when I get home. Almost like magic (Accio Chili!).
Now, onto today’s recipe, vegetarian chili!
Now, why vegetarian chili instead of regular chili you ask, well, both my husband and I find meat chili to have too many textures in it. So if you happen to have a little one (or a grown-up like us…) who has sensory or textures issues, you might want to give this a try!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans (400g) of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of ‘six beans medley’
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 Tblsp of chia seeds
- 4 Tblsp of chili powder
- 2 Tblsp of coriander
- 1 Tblsp of lime juice
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. IF you are feeling fancy, you can sautee your onions and garlic in a pan before putting them in the slow cooker. Personally, I feel like the difference in taste is so small that it’s not worth the extra effort… But as usual, you do you!
- Drain the beans and add them to the slow cooker.
- Dump everything else in the slow cooker with the beans and mix well.
- Set on high for 6 hours and forget about it.
- EAT ALL THE CHILI!
That’s literally it, takes all of 5 minutes to throw together on your lunch break and voila! Healthy dinner ready for you when you get home!
Speaking of healthy, according to MyFitnessPal, this meal will ring you about 360 calories per portion with around 64g of carbs, 5g of fat, and 21g of protein. Obviously, that will depend on what brands you use for tomatoes and beans, but this should give you a rough idea.
That’s it for now, as usual, if you make it, let me know what you thought in the comments section and if you Instagram that baby, use #forkandfantasy so I can look it up!