I don’t know about where you guys live, but here it’s getting quite chilly. This means, obviously, that I am starting to cook more. Comfort food is where it’s at for me, always, but mostly in the Fall/ Winter.
Last night, I was craving a rich, creamy, and comforting drink. But what to drink? Tea? Hot chocolate? I decided on Turmeric Milk Tea, which I tend to have when feeling under the weather. Since I wasn’t, I modified the recipe slightly.
A word of warning before starting, fresh turmeric WILL stain your fingers so you might want to wear gloves if you care about that at all.
This particular recipe is vegan, depending on what you choose to use however, it may not be. If that matters to you, follow the recipe below!
Turmeric Milk Tea
Serves 2 small cups or 1 big one
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of almond milk (or whatever milk you enjoy)
- 2 nubs of fresh Turmeric
- 1 tbsp of Turmeric powder
- 1-2 slices of fresh ginger or a dash of ginger powder
- a dash of cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
- a dash of black pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup
- Peel and slice the fresh Turmeric and fresh ginger if used.
- Put all the ingredients in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil and then cook for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat. (watch out for the milk so it doesn’t boil over!)
- Let cool for a minute.
- Strain into a cup or mug.
- Sprinkle a bit more nutmeg on top.
- DRINK ALL THE MILK TEA!
Now, as I warned my husband about 0.4 seconds before he burned his mouth, the tea will be burning hot. You might want to let it sit for a couple minutes…
If you are feeling under the weather, replace the maple syrup with honey and add a bit of lemon juice, it helps for sore throats and runny noses!
Get ready to be extra cozy drinking this tea, it tastes exactly like what I think Fall would taste like. Maybe it’s just me though ahahahah
As usual, let me know if you make it, and if you post pictures on Instagram, hashtag it #forkandfantasy so I can find it! Have a great week everyone!
Until next time,