I come today bearing the gift of a low-carb dinner that only takes a few minutes to put together! That’s right, delicious, low carb, AND quick.
Now this recipe involves a few fancy ingredients, but fear not, I’m gonna tell you what you can sub them with, just in case your pantry isn’t, somehow, full of various Asian sauces and products… Which, it probably should to be honest….
Alright, less about me and my pantry, and on to the recipe!
EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- 1/2lbs of ground pork
- 1/4 napa (Chinese) cabbage (can substitute with bok choi)
- 4-5 green onions
- half a carton of mushroom (between like, 6-10 I guess?)
- Optional: 1/2 cup of shredded carrots (will up the carbs so only add if you don’t care)
- 1 tbsp. of Sesame oil
- 2-3 tbsp. of soy sauce
- 2 tsp. of Okonomiyaki sauce
- 2 tsp. of Oyster sauce (The Okonomiyaki sauce and oyster sauce can be replaced by hoisin sauce and a very small touch of vinegar)
- Ginger to taste (fresh just a little, dried you can add a bit more)
- Garlic to taste (for me, about 4-5 cloves)
- 1 tsp. of Cinnamon (or a bit more)
- 1 tsp. of Chinese five spices (if you have it, if not it’ll still be awesome)
- Salt and pepper (only use salt if you used low-sodium soy sauce, otherwise it’ll be too salty)
- 1/4-1/2 cup of water
- First, cut your veggies. You want the cabbage to be in small strips. The green onion either chopped of bite-size. Carrots shredded (or buy them match-stick style and don’t worry about it). Mushrooms sliced.
- To a wok or skillet, add the sesame oil and brown the ground pork.
- Add the veggies
- Once the veggies are starting to get tender, add a bit of water. Start with 1/4 cup and adjust through the cooking process.
- Add in your sauces and spices
- Cook down until the mixture has absorbed the liquids but is not dry.
- Serve by itself (serves 2, low carb option), or with rice (serves 4).
- EAT THE WHOLE BOWL!
So yeah that’s it, pretty easy, pretty quick. I know the cinnamon sounds weird but it really brings it to another level.
Again though, it’s your kitchen, I’m not about to tell you what to do, you can modify this recipe as much as your heart and stomach desire.
Let me know if you try it, and if you post a picture on Instagram, use the #forkandfantasy so I can find it (and you know like, creep your profile… wait, what?)
Until next time,